Connections between 2 Wonders of the Riviera Maya
Welcome to the Riviera Maya! With its white sand beaches, turquoise waters, and archaeological sites, this region of Mexico is one of the most popular destinations in the world.
The two main tourist destinations in the state of Quintana Roo are Cancun, the first tourist hub created in the region, and Tulum, a small coastal town with a bohemian atmosphere that recently has become one of the top holistic tourism destinations in the world.
To get around this wonderful region of the Yucatan Peninsula, nestled between the Caribbean Sea and the lush jungle, there are several transportation alternatives.
In this article we give you the best tips to find the best transport offers to get from Cancun and Tulum; and everywhere around.
Public transportation, taxis, private drivers and car rental, we tell you everything about the means of transport, practical and low cost or comfortable and luxurious, to move around the region of Cancun and the Riviera Maya.
Keep reading and discover our article about all the transfer and transport offers between Cancun and Tulum 👇 👇 👇
What are the different options to get between Cancun and Tulum?
Cancun and Tulum are two popular destinations located on the Riviera Maya in Mexico.
There are several transportation options to get from Cancun to Tulum, each with its pros and cons. Here is a detailed list of the different possibilities with their approximate costs in dollars and euros:
1. Private transportation services
Private transportation is one of the best options to get around the Riviera Maya. It is a reliable and high-level service with special focus on always being on time.
Private transportation is probably the most convenient and fastest option, especially compared to buses or taxi cabs. Consider that in this service the driver will meet you directly at the lobby of your hotel or at the door of your Airbnb or vacation rental. It is a much more personalized service.
The price of a private transfer between Cancun and Tulum in is around 120 dollars or €110.
Do you want to know more about this type of service? You can request a quote; just share with us your itinerary and the number of people you will be traveling with.
Learn more about our private transportation services. We take you everywhere in Riviera Maya!
How to book a private transfer in Cancun?
Once we send you the quote and you agree with it, it will only be a matter of finalizing the payment and your reservation will be ready.
Comment réserver un service de chauffeur privé à Cancun ?
Una vez que te enviemos la cotización y estés de acuerdo con ella, solo será cuestión de finalizar el pago y tu reserva estará lista.
What are the advantages of a private transfer from Cancun to Tulum?
The advantages of the private transportation service are several.
You have full control of your transfer: pick-up location, pick-up time, choosing the vehicle that best suits your needs, having the option to make other stops along the way to do activities or visit places of interest; it is not necessary to wait for other travelers to start the transfer as it happens with shared transfers. If you hire the service for an extended period of time (4+ hours), you can get around in the Riviera Maya at your own pace. In general, the main benefit of a service like this is its flexibility.
Reasons to book our private transportation service to get around between Cancun and Tulum?
Our drivers are reliable and professional. They are committed to always be on time and deliver a high-quality service. We want you to make the most of your time and enjoy your stay in Cancun and the Riviera Maya without worrying about transportation and the inconveniences related to the logistics required to move from one location to another in the area.
Hiring a private transportation service is, in a way, a guarantee of having nothing else to worry about than enjoying your vacation with your loved ones and having an unforgettable experience in Cancun.
Do you want to book a private transfer (one way, round, for several hours) get around Cancun and Tulum?
2. Shared transport services
Shared transportation is the perfect alternative for those tourists who are traveling on a budget and want to minimize expenses by sharing their means of transport with other travelers.
Shared transportation is a cheaper option to go from Cancun to Tulum. The price can vary according to the company and the type of service, but it usually costs around $20 dollars (or €17) per person.
Where to book a shared transportation service in Cancun and Tulum?
You can book it online or directly with your hotel. There are also specialized agencies whose counters are located in various parts of the city. Most are located close to downtown and around the bus station.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a shared transportation service?
If you want to travel from Cancun to Tulum using this type of service, obviously the main advantage is a lower cost compared to the regular private transportation modality. However, there are also some drawbacks to consider before making your choice.
Shared ride schedules are much less flexible. Therefore, you will need to show up on time and well in advance to secure a place on a vehicle. You should also consider that there are many stops and to get to your final destination you will probably have to be patient.
In summary, if you have enough time for your transfer and you are looking to reduce your travel costs, this is probably the option to choose!
3. Taxi cabs and VTC services
Taxi cabs are a popular option to get from Cancun to Tulum. However, they are much more expensive than ADO buses and other transportation services.
The price of a taxi ride from Cancun to Tulum is around $140 dollars, or about €130. You can find taxis at the bus station, near hotels and shopping malls, or book them in advance through apps like Didi.
Uber is also operating in Cancun.
Some tips if you are taking a taxi cab to go from Cancun to Tulum
- Always make sure you take a taxi with all the permits and plates. as well as that the vehicle is in good conditions (they eye test never fails). You will find taxi cabs at the airport and around the bus stations.
- Do not take a taxi without having previously negotiated the rate for your trip. In Cancun, taxis do not operate with a meter. It is always important to agree with the driver the cost of the transfer.
- Taxis are not necessarily cheaper than a private transfer. That is the main reason it is important that you compare prices before choosing the option that best suits you.
- In case you choose to go from Cancun to Tulum by taxi, remember to always follow the route with your own GPS to avoid any misunderstanding with the driver.
4. Public transportation
ADO buses are the most widely used public transportation alternative in Mexico. This is the perfect budget option.
Where to book a bus from Cancun to Tulum?
Nothing is easier! Simply go directly to the counter at the Cancun airport or the Cancun bus station, if you are already in downtown. ADO buses run several times a day between Cancun and Tulum.
You can also book directly online on ADO website.
How much is the bus service from Cancun to Tulum?
Tickets are around $12 per person for the Cancun-Tulum route. This corresponds to approximately €10. ADO buses leave frequently from the Bus Terminal in Cancun and you can buy your tickets online.
If you want more information about public transportation in the Riviera Maya, as well as about bus routes in Cancun, check out our transportation section to discover all our articles: click here.
In summary, there are several options to get from Cancun to Tulum. ADO buses are the lowest cost option, taxis are a convenient option since you can find them almost everywhere, private transportation is the most comfortable and flexible option; and shared transportation is a budget option if you are traveling with enough time. It is important to consider your personal preferences and your budget to choose the best option for you.
Need Transportation? Get a quote!
Why book your transfer from Cancun to Tulum?
Do you want to discover the two most emblematic tourist destinations of the Riviera Maya, Cancun and Tulum? Read on to find out the best ways to get to these two must-see spots!
Cancun is the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. With the second biggest airport in the country, its hotel zone with contemporary architecture, its world-famous beaches and its incredible nightlife, it is the essential stopover for your vacations in the Riviera Maya.
A laid-back, bohemian town surrounded by lush jungle, Tulum offers a much more relaxed atmosphere with its Zen retreats, yoga lesson everywhere, and other holistic activities. Transfers between the two cities allow you to enjoy both faces of the Riviera Maya.
Cancun is a famous destination for its open coast to the Caribbean Sea and its wild nightlife. Tulum, on the other hand, is a small town with a Zen hippy vibe. Visiting these two destinations is, therefore, an excellent way to enjoy the Riviera Maya as a whole.
The transportation services between Cancun and Tulum that we talked about previously are a perfect link between these two unmissable destinations in the Mexican Caribbean.
So, don't hesitate any longer and enjoy the unique experience that these impressive tourist destinations offer you!
Are you looking for a transfer from Cancun to Tulum?
Top 7 activities to do on the coast from Cancun to Tulum?
The highway between Cancun and Tulum runs through the entire Riviera Maya and is a true tourist gem with many activities to do. Here are the 7 best activities in the region to make the most of your trip:
- 1. Akumal beach: This beach is famous because you can find sea turtles on it and you can even swim near them. It is a truly unforgettable experience. The cost of swimming with the turtles is around 60 dollars (€50).
- 2. Cenote Dos Ojos: This cenote is one of the best known in the region and offers a unique experience. You can explore rock formations and caves that are part of a complex underground system in the Yucatan Peninsula formed millions of years ago. The cost of the dive is around 80 dollars (approximately €68).
- 3. Parque Nacional Tulum: This national park is home to exceptional Mayan ruins and lush tropical vegetation. You can explore the remains of the old walled city and discover the wonders of nature. The entrance fee to the park is around 15 dollars (€13).
- 4. Xpu-Ha Beach: This beach is known for its crystal-clear water and its palm trees by the sea. It is an excellent place to relax on the sand, swim in the turquoise waters and practice various water sports. Access to the beach is free.
- 5. Eco-Parc Xcaret: This ecological park offers a variety of activities for visitors of all ages. You can explore the region's flora and fauna, watch cultural performances, swim in underground rivers, and learn about Mexico's ancient cultures. The cost of admission to the park is around 99 dollars (€84).
- 6. Xel-Ha Botanical Garden: This natural park offers an extensive collection of exotic plants, as well as a beach, natural pools, and water activities. You can discover marine life and explore the botanical gardens. The cost of admission to the park is around $99, or around €84.
7. Sian Ka'an Nature Reserve: This nature reserve is home to a wide variety of flora and fauna, as well as white sand beaches. You can explore the mangroves, lagoons and rivers to discover the wildlife. The cost of the 2-hour excursion by boat and the descent of the natural river with currents between the mangroves is about 100 dollars (€92).
Do not wait any longer and book your excursion to visit the treasures of the Riviera Maya to discover Cancun and Tulum