Vacation Packages in Cancún and Riviera Maya
Cancun was created in 1974. Since its first days it caught the attention of tourist from everywhere in Mexico and in the world. Nowadays, the stunning combination of white sand beaches surrounded by breathtaking turquoise waters keeps seducing millions of people around the world. Thus, Cancun has become a top tourist destination.
The growing tourist flow to Cancun and, lately, to Riviera Maya (Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen, Tulum) has detonated the development of hotel and resort infrastructure along with many other businesses: restaurants, bars, malls, yatch rentals and golf clubs among others. Dozens of tourist products like excursions, tours, theme parks and water activities have been created to keep this destination’s tourist appeal fresh and in constant renewal. Dozens of tourist products like excursions, tours, theme parks and water activities have been created to keep this destination’s tourist appeal fresh and in constant renewal.
One of the products that have become extremely popular in Cancun and Riviera Maya are vacation packages. This type of product has contributed in a great degree to the Mexican Caribbean growth and development in the last couple of decades. In its first two decades of existence, tourism in Cancun, especially from a national perspective, was perceived as exclusive and elitist destination whose main target was the rich population. The constant arrival of North American tourists to Cancun and the nearby towns made this place very expensive because all the transactions were focused on attracting and keeping US dollars in these locations. However, by the 2000s, the creation of vacation packages based on "All Inclusive" concept allowed Cancun to open to more diverse groups of tourists, especially within Mexico and South America.
Therefore, vacation packages have become one of the favorite modalities to travel to Cancun and Riviera Maya, both for national and international tourists. In most tourist sites and travel agencies, you will find different options.
Planning a trip to Cancun?
Our travel consultants are ready to help you. Schedule a call
Why would you buy a vacation package to travel to Cancun and Riviera Maya?
Basically, the main advantage lies on a cost reduction. The operation of wholesale intermediaries and brokers with hotels, airlines, car rental agencies and tour operators has a direct impact on the prices due to the volume of room, plane tickets and other products that they get to manage.
Generally, the two main parts of any vacation package to Cancun are flight tickets and accommodation services in a hotel. Furthermore, given the widely use of the "All Inclusive" service modality in Cancun and Riviera Maya, it is very common to find packages based on this type of service, making them even more attractive.
Some other products that can be included in vacation packages are car rental services, airport / hotel transfers (one-way, round trip) and activities or tours in Cancun and Riviera Maya.
Another important advantage of most vacation package providers is that they allow their customers to assemble the package according to their needs, so that they make sure all the services that they will required are included.
Which are the key factors you have to consider to choose a vacation package to Cancun or Riviera Maya?
Among the main elements to consider when choosing a vacation package are:
- Define the exact dates for your vacation. You must know that the tourist seasons have a direct impact on hotel and transportation services. Thus, if you choose to travel within a period considered high season (holidays, summer, etc.) in Cancun and Riviera Maya, it is very possible that the price of any vacation package won’t be cheap. However, it will always keep an advantage over other travel modalities.
- Type and characteristics of accommodation services. Of course, the hotel or resort where you want to stay is another factor that directly affects the price of a vacation package. Cancun and Riviera Maya have more than 80,000 hotel rooms available. So, there is a wide variety of hotels to choose from. You’ll have to be well aware of your preferences when it comes to accommodation services.
The hotels available for all-inclusive vacation packages usually belong to, at least, the three-star category.
In the case of Cancun, most of the hotel offer is concentrated in the hotel zone while, in Riviera Maya, they are scattered through different towns (Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen, Tulum) and their surroundings. This is something important in a vacation package because it will increase / decrease the need for transportation services to use to get to the hotel.
- Size of the group of people traveling. The larger the group is, it is more likely you will be able to find an additional discount in the price of plane tickets or in the price of airport - hotel - airport transportation.
In regard to the size of the group, it may also be convenient to consider renting a car (SUV or Van) if the number of passengers is big enough.
- Hotel / resort rooms in the reservation. The number of rooms to reserve is also an element that can help in negotiating a better price on a vacation package.
This is usually more important when the trip involves a large group of friends or large families.
Advantages of vacation packages in Cancun and Riviera Maya
Some of the main advantages of traveling to Cancun and Riviera Maya using a vacation package are:
- Safety and service guarantee. When you buy a vacation package, the service provider or travel agency guarantee that they have taken care of every detail of your trip. So, you don't have to worry about a thing while on your vacation. However, It is very important you always make sure that the service provider or travel agency you are dealing with is a company properly established.
Internet is full with options, offers and special prices of vacation packages through different platforms, most of them, actually very famous. However, it does not hurt to take a look at their terms and conditions of service to ensure that they comply with the corresponding local and international operating regulations.
- Comfort. You don't have to worry about anything in your vacation. Accommodation services, transfers and other services are already set for you.
- Better budget control. With vacation packages, you already know how much you are going to spend in accommodation services, food (if it’s All Inclusive service) and transportation before leaving to your destination. Of course, it will be necessary to keep under control the extra expenses that may happen, which can be many and very different, so that you don’t exceed your budget.
Disadvantages of vacation packages in Cancun and Riviera Maya
- A boring vacation. As everything is already planned for your trip, it is possible that the daily routine of entertainment and repetitive menu at the resorts begins to bore you, especially if the hotel you chose is far from the main tourist areas to explore. This is why it is very important to make enough research to make sure a hotel / resort fits your expectations.
As we have mentioned previously, in Cancun the area where you will find most of the hotels is very well defined: hotel zone. In Riviera Maya (Puerto Morelos, Cancun, Playa del Carmen), the situation is different. And it is very important to consider the location of the hotel, as there may be tens of miles between it and a particular relevant tourist attraction.
- Extra expenses.It is very important that you know with precision what is and what is not included in any of the vacation packages that you are paying so that you don’t have last minute surprises.
Check out our travel itineraries:
CANCUN FOR NATURE LOVERS: Get ready for a 6 day trip to Cancun 😎! Relax on the beautiful beaches 🌴 ☀️, go on a birdwatching tour 🦜 🦉 🦅 & get close to the wildlife 🦇 🐊 🐢 in the Mexican Caribbean 🇲🇽.
CANCUN SEA ADVENTURE: Enjoy a 6-day trip to Cancun! Discover the wonders in the Caribbean Sea 🌊: the magic islands 🏖️, the reefs 🐬 🐚, the underwater treasures 🐡 🐠 & more ⛵.
JUNGLE ADVENTURE IN CANCUN: Get ready for a five-day trip to Cancun! Relax on the beautiful beaches 🏖️ and explore the jungle 🌳 while learning about the secrets of the Mayan civilization. 🏯
We propose an initial itinerary, but since we work tailor made and we are very flexible, you can configurate the program of your choice, by adding more excursions or a couple of extra days to relax at the resort. Checkout our catalog to learn more about the wonderful activities available in the region.